The Entry into Jerusalem, detail; Unknown; Ottonian, c.1030. (see below).
Worship resources for Holy Week and Easter 2021 (appropriate for the scriptures in Year B of the Revised Common Lectionary).
Choral music selections are rated according to difficulty: E = Easy, M = Moderate, A = Advanced
+ + +
HOLY WEEK REFLECTION
Jesus, when you headed to Jerusalem
did you know the way led to my heart?
You were homeless then;
few offered you their hearth.
You saw the long dusty road,
the parade, the politics, and pain.
on the other side of your grave
I and myriads with me
would delight to receive you.
Come in, now, where it’s warm…
at home on how many hearths?!…
and show the way through our hearts.
— Marian McClure Taylor*
Palm/Passion Sunday (March 28, 2021)
LITURGY OF THE PALMS
- Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29 (Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord)
- Mark 11:1-11 (Hosanna! The people cry as Jesus rides on a donkey); or John 12:12-16 (Look! your king is coming! The people cry)
LITURGY OF THE PASSION
- Isaiah 50:4-9a (The suffering servant of the Lord)
- Psalm 31:9-16 (Be gracious to me, for I am in distress)
- Philippians 2:5-11 (Christ Jesus: humbled to the point of death on a cross)
- Mark 14:1-15:47 or Mark 15:1-39, [40-47] (The passion of the Lord)
Forgive us, O God,
for domesticating Jesus –
for smoothing his rough edges,
explaining away his uncomfortable silences,
for wrapping him in our flags,
labeling him with our biases,
limiting him by our narrow-mindedness.
As we remember his “triumph” that day,
remind us that he is not “our Jesus” – but yours.
Just as mysterious.
Just as challenging.
Just as unpredictable.
And just as filled
and unconditional love
as the one he called “Father.”
Forgive us for wanting a tame Lord –
and give us the wild heart of Jesus,
his unquenchable passion,
his unrelenting love,
even today. Amen.
— Russ Dean*
- John Ireland/D. Busarow, arr. — MY SONG IS LOVE UNKNOWN. (SAB, Org) © 1978, Concordia, 98-2336 (E-M)
- Gilbert Martin — GO TO DARK GETHSEMANE. (Unison, Org) © 1968, Presser, 312-40618 (E)
CHILDREN & YOUTH:
- Johannes Brahms/H. Hopson, arr. — LET ALL THE GATES BE OPENED WIDE. (Unison/2-Pt, Pno) © 1996, Choristers Guild, CGA736 (E)
- Jody Lindh — LIFT UP YOUR HEADS. (Unison/2-Pt, Pno, opt. Perc, Synth) © 1987, Choristers Guild, CGA420 (E)
- G. Alan Smith/J. Schrader, arr. — ANTIPHONAL HOSANNA. (SATB, Unison, Pno) © 1983, Hope, C5262 (E)
- Michael Burkhardt, arr. — THEY CRUCIFIED MY LORD. (Solo, SATB, Org, HBs, opt. Timp) © 2016, MorningStar, MSM-50-3054 (M)
- F. Melius Christiansen, arr. — LAMB OF GOD. (SATB, a cap) © 1961, Augsburg, 9780800652593 (E-M)
- Taylor Davis, arr. — RIDE ON! (SATB, Pno) © 2007, Choristers Guild, CGA1116 (M)
- Alfred V. Fedak, arr. — CHRISTUS PARADOX. (SATB, Org) © 2000, GIA, G-5463 (M)
- Christian Gregor/H. Hopson, arr. — HOSANNA! BLESSED IS HE. (SATB, Unison, Kybd) © 2013, Choristers Guild, CGA1360 (E)
- Nancy Grundahl, arr. — SING HOSANNA! SANNANINA! (SATB, Perc) © 2006, Augsburg, 9780800638726 (M)
- Blake Hanson — O VOS OMNES. (SSATB, a cap) © 2006, GIA, G-6483 (M-A)
- Jane Marshall — MY ETERNAL KING. (SATB, Org) © 1954, C. Fischer, CM 6752 (M)
- Alice Parker, arr. — HE IS KING OF KINGS. (SATB, Solo, a cap) © 1995, GIA, G-4234 (M)
- K. Lee Scott — THE TREE OF LIFE. (SATB, Org, opt. Brass, HBs) © 1987, MorningStar, MSM-50-3000 (M)
- David H. Williams — DRAW NIGH TO JERUSALEM. (SATB, Org) © 1956, H.W. Gray, 2410 (M)
Maundy Thursday (April 1, 2021)
- Exodus 12:1-4, (5-10), 11-14 (The instructions for the Passover Meal)
- Psalm 116:1-2, 12-19 (I will lift up the cup of salvation)
- 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 (The Lord’s Supper: proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes)
- John 13:1-17, 31b-35 (The service of Jesus: A new commandment)
And do I deserve this cup of salvation? Do I dare to drink from it?
What am I agreeing to if I drink this cup?
Do I really wish to be set free of my fears and doubts and anxieties?
Do I truly wish to be rescued and responsible for my own freedom?
And what is being asked of me in return?
What will I owe and is it worth that debt?
The cup brought in, filled and offered.
And will I take the cup? Will I drink from it?
I hope to answer:
“Truly I am your servant, Lord; I serve you as my mother did;
You have freed me from my chains.”
— Martha D. Kearse*
- Malcolm Archer — A NEW COMMANDMENT. (2-Pt Mixed, Kybd) © 1992, Kevin Mayhew, 9510948 (E)
- Peter Aston — I GIVE YOU A NEW COMMANDMENT. (2-Pt [Any], Org) © 1995, RSCM/GIA, G-4331 (E)
- Ralph Johnson — THEE WE ADORE. (2-Pt Mixed, Pno) © 1996, Kjos, 6261 (E)
- Trevor Manor — IN DARK GETHSEMANE. (Unison/2-Pt, Pno, opt. Hn) © 2015, Choristers Guild, CGA1396 (E-M)
- Dana Mengel —THIS IS THE BREAD. (Unison, opt. Solos, Kybd) © 2006, GIA, G-6375 (E)
- Eleanor Daley — HERE, O MY LORD. (SATB, Kybd) © 1999, Alliance, AMP-0305 (M)
- Larry Fleming, arr. — HUMBLE SERVICE. (SATB, a cap) © 1984, Augsburg, 9780800646226 (E-M)
- Terre Johnson, arr. — COME YE DISCONSOLATE. (SATB, Pno, opt. Str) © 2009, MorningStar, MSM-50-2602 (M)
- Michael Joncas — OUR BLESSING CUP. (SATB, Solo, Kybd, opt. Fl, Ob, Cl) © 1995, GIA, G-4271 (E)
- Thomas Lucas — YOUR SACRIFICE. (SATB, Pno) © 2000, World Library, 1210 (E-M)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart — AVE VERUM CORPUS. (SATB, Org) © 1946, G. Schirmer, 6813 (M)
- Healey Willan — O SACRED FEAST. (SATB, a cap) © 1924/1980, Alfred, GCMR00715 (M)
EASTER SUNDAY (April 4, 2021)
- Acts 10:34-43 (Peter proclaims Jesus’ resurrection is for all) [or] Isaiah 25:6-9 (This is the feast of victory)
- Psalm 118:1-2, 14-24 (I will not die, I will live)
- 1 Corinthians 15:1-11 (Witnesses to the good news) [or] Acts 10:34-43 (Peter proclaims Jesus’ resurrection is for all)
- John 20:1-18 (Mary Magdalene encounters the risen Lord) [or] Mark 16:1-8 (The women learn of Jesus’ resurrection)
May “the Lord is risen” be every morning’s prelude.
May “alleluia” be your constant refrain.
May Christ’s victory over the grave
revive your heart’s tempo at the close of every day.
And may the risen Lord’s gracious love
make your life a song of praise,
from this day forth and forevermore. Alleluia! Amen!
— Marian McClure Taylor*
- Donald Busarow, arr. — GOOD CHRISTIAN FRIENDS, REJOICE AND SING. (SAB, Kybd, C Inst) © 1998, MorningStar, MSM-50-4406 (E)
- John Carter — CHRIST IS RISEN AS HE SAID. (Unison/2-Pt, Kybd, opt. Cong) © 1991, Hope, A-648 (E)
- Martin How — AN EASTER GREETING. (2-Pt Mixed, Org) © 1978, Presser, 312-41257 (E)
- Kenneth Kosche — NOW THE GREEN BLADE RISETH. (2-Pt Mixed, Pno) © 2014, Concordia, 98-4161 (E-M)
CHILDREN & YOUTH:
- Ken Berg, arr. — THIS IS THE DAY. (Unison/2-Pt, Pno, opt. Perc) © 2013, Celebrating Grace, 622022301 (E)
- Jennifer Kerr Breedlove — EARLY EASTER MORNING. (2-Pt, Kybd, opt. HB) © 2003, GIA, G-5894 (E)
- Mark Burrows, arr. — PROCESSIONAL HALLELUJAH. (SATB/Unison, Perc) © 2018, Choristers Guild, CGA1577 (M)
- Jefferey Blersch, arr. — THIS IS THE FEAST OF VICTORY. (SATB, Org, Brass, Timp, Cymb) © 2014, Concordia, 97-7672 (M)
- Bradley Ellingboe — MARY AT THE TOMB. (SATB, Pno) © 1997, Augsburg, 0800656946 (M)
- Glenn Jones — RESURRECTION JUBILEE! (SATB, Solo, a cap) © 2003, GIA, G-6189 (M)
- Daniel Kallman, arr.— IN THEE IS GLADNESS. (SATB, Org, opt. C Inst) © 2018, MorningStar, MSM-50-4065 (MD)
- Volkmar Leisring/H. Hopson, arr. — A SEASONAL ALLELUIA. (SATB, Unison, Org, opt. Brass, HB) © 1993, Hope, HH 3945 (E)
- Allen Pote — ON THE THIRD DAY. (SATB, Kybd, opt. Brass, Timp, HB) © 1992, Hope, F 1000 (M)
- Noel Rawsthorne — O GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD. (SATB, Org, opt. Cong) © 1989, Kevin Mayhew, KM012 (M)
- John Rutter — CHRIST THE LORD IS RISEN AGAIN. (SATB, Org, opt. Orch) © 1971, Oxford, 9780193511910 (M-A)
- Paul Sjolund — CHRIST IS RISEN. (SATB, Org) © 1964, Walton, W2160, (M-A)
- Healey Willan — RISE UP, MY LOVE, MY FAIR ONE. (SATB, a cap) © 1929, Oxford, 9780193851740 (M-A)
- Nathan Zullinger — ¡ALELUYA! CRISTO RESUCITÓ (ALLELUIA! CHRIST IS RISEN). (SATB a cap, Perc) © 2018, MorningStar, MSM-50-4065 (M)
*Thanks to Russ Dean, Martha Kearse, and Marian McClure Taylor for their prayerful contributions and insights for these days, some of which are included here.